US Family Visa Lawyer London
U.S. Emigration Via Family Visas
The American emigration lawyers of Ferman Law help reunite family members by obtaining family-based immigrant visas. If you have a family member who is a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S., we can file a petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once the petition is approved, and a visa number becomes available, you can apply for an immigrant visa. This visa will allow you to come to the U.S. to live permanently.
Visas for the Closest Relatives
The various types of family visa petitions are treated differently depending on a number of factors, including the family relationship and the age of the applicant. The highest priority is given to applicants in the following categories:
- Immediate relatives: Spouses, unmarried children (under age 21) and parents of U.S. citizens (if the son or daughter is at least 21 years of age). There is no waiting list for immediate relatives because visa numbers are immediately available. If you are the beneficiary of an I-130 immediate relative petition and are already in the U.S., you may be eligible to apply for adjustment of status.
- Fiancés, fiancées: A K-1 fiancee/fiance visa may be required for those who are outside the U.S. and plan to marry a U.S. citizen and live permanently in the U.S.
Family Visa Preference Petitions
Visa petitions by people with other types of family relationships are also available.
- First preference: Unmarried sons and daughters (21 years of age and older) of U.S. citizens
- Second preference: Spouses and children (under age 21) of lawful permanent residents (known as 2A) and unmarried sons and daughters (21 years of age and older) of lawful permanent residents (known as 2B)
- Third preference: Married sons and daughters (21 years of age and older) of U.S. citizens
- Fourth preference: Siblings of U.S. citizens
Sometimes there is an advantage to filing an immediate relative petition with the USCIS office in London. The USCIS in London is typically able to process I-130 immediate relative petitions within a few months. Stateside it can take up to six months to accomplish the same task.
To learn more about how we can be of assistance, please contact the attorneys of Ferman Law in London, England. Call 0207 499 5702.