Jump to Navigation

US Family Visa Lawyer

U.S. Emigration Via Family Visas

The American emigration lawyers of Ferman Law help reunite family members by obtaining family-based immigrant visas. If you have a family member who is a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S., we can file a petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once the petition is approved,  and a visa number becomes available, you can apply for an immigrant visa. This visa will allow you to come to the U.S. to live permanently.

Visas for the Closest Relatives

The various types of family visa petitions are treated differently depending on a number of factors, including the family relationship and the age of the applicant. The highest priority is given to applicants in the following categories:

  • Immediate relatives: Spouses, unmarried children (under age 21) and parents of U.S. citizens (if the son or daughter is at least 21 years of age). There is no waiting list for immediate relatives because visa numbers are immediately available. If you are the beneficiary of an I-130 immediate relative petition and are already in the U.S., you may be eligible to apply for adjustment of status.
  • Fiancés, fiancées: A K-1 fiancee/fiance visa may be required for those who are outside the U.S. and plan to marry a U.S. citizen and live permanently in the U.S.

Family Visa Preference Petitions

Visa petitions by people with other types of family relationships are also available.

  • First preference: Unmarried sons and daughters (21 years of age and older) of U.S. citizens
  • Second preference: Spouses and children (under age 21) of lawful permanent residents (known as 2A) and unmarried sons and daughters (21 years of age and older) of lawful permanent residents (known as 2B)
  • Third preference: Married sons and daughters (21 years of age and older) of U.S. citizens
  • Fourth preference: Siblings of U.S. citizens

Sometimes there is an advantage to filing an immediate relative petition with the USCIS office in London. The USCIS in London is typically able to process I-130 immediate relative petitions within a few months. Stateside it can take up to six months to accomplish the same task.

To learn more about how we can be of assistance, please contact the attorneys of Ferman Law in London, England. Call 07710 751266.

Florida Office:

7389 Byrons Way
Naples, FL 34113-3169
Map & Directions

UK phone numbers:
T: 07710 751266


Minnesota Office:

Ferman Law, PLLC
201 West Burnsville Parkway
Suite 110
Burnsville, MN 55337

Phone: 651-968-0551
Fax: 952-303-5453
E-mail Map & Directions

Visit our U.S. Web site

Contact Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


This site uses Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, which is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.